The 20th annual California Hot Rod Reunion, presented by the Automobile Club of Southern California, Oct. 21-23, 2011 at Auto Club Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield, Calif., is a 3-day festival of speed, hot rods and American automotive enthusiasm.
Produced by the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum (www.museum.nhra.com), presented by the Automobile Club of Southern California, and located in Pomona, Calif., the Reunion is part of the museum’s "living history" philosophy, which works to bring to life the sights, sounds and people who made history in the early days of drag racing, land speed racing and the golden age of American car culture.
Unique among motorsports events, the Reunion honors some of the top names in hot rodding from the past and features a fabulous array of cool drag cars, street rods and customs of the historic and present-day hot rod eras.
Daily general admission tickets/pit passes will be available at Auto Club Famoso Raceway gate, (www.famosoraceway.com). The cost per person per day is just $25. Children 15 and under are free when accompanied by an adult. Auto Club discount is also available at the gate. Purchase 3-day credentials prior to Oct. 14 and receive a ticket discount and "goodie" bag. Ticket available online at www.nhratix.com or by phone, 1-800-884-6472
The Reunion features a wide variety of activities and events, including:
- NHRA vintage drag racing, featuring some the sport’s most famous and historic cars and drivers, racing in such classes at Nostalgia Top Fuel, Nostalgia Funny Car, Fuel Altereds, Gassers, AFX, Hot Rods and others. It’s the grand finale of the NHRA’s Hot Rod Heritage Series.
- Hundreds of gleaming pre-1972 hot rods, street rods, custom cars, rat rods, classics and muscle cars. Hot Rod Deluxe Memory Lane will have a display of nostalgic race cars.
- British motorcycle and music icon Ace Cafe London will erect a party tent at the 20th California Hot Rod Reunion, offering beverages, snacks, live music and memorabilia. If you love speed and rock n roll, then you will want to visit the temporary Ace Cafe London at the Reunion.
- California Hot Rod Reunion Reception, held at the DoubleTree Hotel in Bakersfield, Fri., Oct. 21, from 7 p.m.- 10 p.m. Open to everyone at no charge, it’s a tribute to Reunion Grand Marshal, Honorees and the Justice Brothers Car Care Products Reunion Spotlight. The reception offers a chance for fans to meet some of drag racing’s heroes.
- A Colossal Cacklefest on Saturday and Sunday, where nitro-burning historic, front-engine top-fuel dragsters and other classic race cars are push started just like in the "old days."
- The Swap meet and Reunion Midway filled with hot rod and automotive related vendors. Something for everyone!
Information, including a full activities schedule, entry forms and tickets, is available through the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum at http://museum.nhra.com. For general Reunion information, please call the Museum at 909/622-8562.
Proceeds of the California Hot Rod Reunion benefit the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum in Pomona, Calif. Founded in 1998 and named for the founder of the National Hot Rod Association, the Parks Museum, presented by Automobile Club of Southern California houses the very roots of hot rodding. Scores of famous vehicles spanning American motorsports history are on display, including winning cars representing 60 years of drag racing, dry lakes and salt-flat racers, oval track challengers and exhibits describing their colorful backgrounds.